LED lights have become a popular buzzword in the skincare world, with promises of radiant skin, fewer wrinkles, and even acne elimination. But how exactly do these tiny lights work their magic? Are they worth it? According to 81% of RealSelf reviewers, they certainly are worth the hype!
The Science Behind the Glow:
LED light therapy uses specific wavelengths of light to penetrate the skin and trigger different cellular processes. Each color of light has a unique effect:
- Red light: This wavelength is the deepest penetrating, stimulating collagen production, which plumps up the skin and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. It can also improve circulation and reduce inflammation.
- Blue light: This powerful light targets bacterium that contributes to acne breakouts. It can also help regulate oil production and prevent future blemishes.
- Green light: This wavelength promotes cell growth and wound healing, making it beneficial for sun damage and scarring. It also has a calming effect on the skin.
Benefits of LED Light Therapy:
- Non-invasive and painless: Unlike harsh chemical peels or lasers, LED therapy is gentle and comfortable.
- Minimal side effects: There are very few risks associated with LED light therapy, making it a suitable option for most skin types.
- Targeted treatment: Specific light colors can be used to address different skin concerns.
- Boosts other skincare routines: LED therapy can enhance the effectiveness of topical products like serums and moisturizers. They are always part of the Platinum Hydrafacial experience to boost the results of your customized serums used during the facial.
Is it Right for You?
While LED light therapy can be a beneficial addition to your skincare routine, it’s important to manage expectations. Results are gradual and require consistent use. It’s also not a miracle cure for all skin problems. Consulting an aesthetician can help you determine if LED therapy is right for your specific concerns.
Our aestheticians swear by LED light therapy when getting a skincare treatment such as microneedling or a facial. A professional-grade LED light device can help the peptides and serums absorb within your skin.
Home vs. Professional Devices:
As with anything available at-home, professional-grade devices are of a different caliber because they are only available to medical providers. This is because when used irresponsibly, they do have the ability to cause skin damage and pigmentation (not the goal!). Capizzi MD has two professional-grade LED hoods that are used during facial treatments to boost the results of our medical-grade treatments.
LED light therapy devices are also available for home use and purchase, but professional treatments tend to be more powerful and deliver faster results. If you’re serious about tackling stubborn wrinkles or acne, professional sessions might be a better option.
If you are still interested in purchasing an at-home device, make sure you purchase from a reputable skincare company and stay away from products offered by influencers on the TikTok shop.
LED light therapy is a promising technology with the potential to improve the appearance and health of your skin. However, it’s important to do your research, choose reputable products or practitioners, and be patient with the results. Remember, consistency is key!
I hope this blog has shed some light on the world of LED skincare. If you have any further questions, feel free to request your consultation with one of our wonderful aestheticians. We will give you a ring and answer all your questions!