Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure to alter the size and shape of the labia minora, the inner folds of skin on either side of the vaginal opening. It is a cosmetic procedure, meaning that it is not medically necessary. However, many women choose to have labiaplasty to improve their self-esteem and quality of life. At Capizzi MD, we have noticed that more and more women are interested in discussing the benefits of this procedure with our office. While there are many reasons and benefits for a labiaplasty, the most notable ones are below:
Reasons for Labiaplasty
There are many reasons why women choose to have labiaplasty. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Asymmetry: The labia minora can be asymmetrical, meaning that one side is larger than the other. This can be due to genetics, childbirth, or injury.
- Hypertrophy: The labia minora may be enlarged, causing discomfort or embarrassment. This can be due to genetics, childbirth, or hormonal changes.
- Pain: The labia minora may be painful during sexual intercourse or other activities. This can be due to hypertrophy, asymmetry, or other conditions such as lichen sclerosus.
- Appearance: Some women simply do not like the appearance of their labia minora and choose to have labiaplasty to improve their self-esteem.
Physical Benefits of a Labiaplasty
- Reduced discomfort: Labiaplasty can reduce physical discomfort caused by enlarged, asymmetrical, or painful labia. This can make everyday activities, such as exercising, wearing certain types of clothing, and having sex, more comfortable.
- Improved hygiene: Labiaplasty can make it easier to clean the genital area, which can reduce the risk of infections and other health problems.
- More youthful appearance: Labiaplasty can create a more youthful and symmetrical appearance of the vulva.
Emotional Benefits of a Labiaplasty
- Improved self-esteem and confidence: Many women who have labiaplasty report feeling more confident and comfortable in their own skin after the procedure. This is because labiaplasty can help them feel more positive about their appearance and sexuality.
- Increased sexual pleasure: Some women also report experiencing increased sexual pleasure after labiaplasty. This is because the procedure can make the vulva more sensitive and reduce pain or discomfort during sex.
The labiaplasty Procedure
Now let’s chat! This is one of the simplest procedures we offer, as patients can schedule the same week if desired and do not require a ride home or extensive care post-op. Labiaplasty is a relatively straightforward procedure that is typically performed under local anesthesia. The surgeon will make small incisions in the labia minora and then remove or reshape the excess tissue. The incisions are then closed with sutures. At Capizzi MD, we use the “wedge” method in order to preserve sensation and to make healing easier than other methods.
Recovery from Labiaplasty
Like any surgery, labiaplasty does carry some risks. These risks include:
- Reduced sensitivity in the labia
- Dissatisfaction with the results
If you are considering labiaplasty, it is important to talk to your doctor or a plastic surgeon to discuss your individual needs and goals. They can help you determine if labiaplasty is right for you and answer any questions you have about the procedure.
Labiaplasty is a safe and effective procedure that can improve the self-esteem and quality of life for many women. If you are considering labiaplasty, be sure to talk to a board-certified doctor or plastic surgeon to discuss your individual needs and goals.